Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA and PEER

So, I was contemplating blacking out the blog for the day, but I realised it would not do much good, and then I would have to figure out how to unblock it,.. lol! Instead I have decided to just make the statement about what I feel about SOPA and the whole Internet Piracy Issue.

SOPA is badly written, and comes down to censorship, it is leading us closer to Big Brother, and will fail entirely at what it is trying to accomplish. I for one tend to listen to music on YouTube (Or I did before the new channels and look.. kinda hate the site now) and I find songs or new artists I like, and go buy their music. If I did not hear it on youtube, or in links from friends, I would never have found the music to buy. No exposure = no purchase.
SOPA would make that option for me go away, and so really, the people pushing the bill woudl be cutting off their own income.

I am huge on Freedom, and Equality. Everyone should have the same rights. That said, Piracy is not cool. However guess what? People who Pirate stuff, will CONTINUE to do so. Yeah, cause they are criminal, and criminals DON'T OBEY LAWS.... so, why pass a law that only harms the people who are being good in the first place?

I understand not wanting your things stolen, I mean, I make stuff so I get it. but there are people who will steal no matter what. Punishing everyone is not the way to make the issue go away.

Okay, off my soapbox now... :)

Phinneas Vella
Owner of PEER